Wireshark mailing list archives

Size of Frames

From: "Joe Anderson" <JosephSAnderson () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:41:04 -0400

As a beginner, I am staring at a lot of trace files to get up to speed. I am
trying to learn the expected sizes (min, max, etc.) of packets. I have read
that the minimum size of an Ethernet frame is 64 bytes, yet my trace files
show many frames that are 54 or 60 bytes long. I also see frames where
zero-based padding (up to 6 bytes worth) are added at the very end of the
frame. These zeros are attributed to (i.e., highlighted) the Ethernet II
layer by Wireshark. But I cannot determine a reason why the padding is
occasionally used.

I have tried to google these topics, but can't find answers. Can anyone
please point me to resources that address these types of questions?

Thank you.