Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark V1.8.0 - analysing dual NIC capture

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard () gtech com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:46:27 +0000 (UTC)

Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@...> writes:

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Keith French <keithfrench@...> wrote:
Thanks for a really fantastic new release of Wireshark.

I have been trying out Wireshark V1.8.0 capturing on 2 NICs simultaneously
using the .pcapng format.
However, I am not really sure what I am expecting to see when analysing the
trace.

The main thing is that you can get packets from 2 interfaces at the
same time.  No other real changes.

Should other real changes be made?  For example, would it make sense to take
into account the interface when performing reassembly, conversation tracking,
etc?  I would think that in many (most?) cases, it wouldn't be very useful to
try to mix/combine that type of analysis across interfaces.  I'm sure there
could be cases where more than 1 interface could be used for an entire
conversation (for example), so maybe have a preference to control whether the
interface should or should not be taken into account?

- Chris