Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Adding support for pcap-ng to dumpcap or reading from pipes

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 12:56:58 -0700

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Jakub Zawadzki
<darkjames-ws () darkjames pl> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 08:24:10AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
I am looking at adding support for pcap-ng to dumpcap.c so it can be
read directly from pipes.

I have question :)

Do we really need to "capture" from pipes in dumpcap?
Wiretap already support reading pcap-ng, and many other file formats.
It doesn't support reading from pipes, but implementing it in dumpcap
just because of it looks like workaround for me.

There are some differences in reading from pipes ... in particular,
the state machine is somewhat interesting.

So is it *really* needed feature or just workaroud for wiretap?

If workaround, wouldn't be better to add support for pipes in wiretap?

If it can be done, sure ... meanwhile, since I think I know what to
do, I will continue with my efforts :-)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe