Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Should the "export as text" item be in an "Export Human-readable..." item in the File menu?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:48:19 -0700

On May 19, 2012, at 8:31 PM, <kcullimo () runbox com> <kcullimo () runbox com> wrote:

Would classifying the asymmetric export (ones that lack a corresponding "import" action) formats as "reports" help
clear up the original ambiguity/misunderstanding? It seems that most of the gui-based network tools I'm forced to
periodically interact with rely upon that term with at least some success.

It might, although I might think of a "report" as being a summary table or graph that pops up in a window rather than
something that gives information for every packet.  Do those tools use "report" for options that write out, for
example, a dissection summary or detail for all or specified packets?

(Also, for the SSL session keys, would "Export" or "Save" or some other verb be appropriate?)