Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: New Dissector only applied to first packet

From: Jan Willamowius <jan () willamowius de>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:25:04 +0100

Guy Harris wrote:
My dissector only handles UDP packets, but strangely the stop-packets
are all TCP packets and I have verified that my dissector never even
gets called for them.

A dissector for one protocol can set up future (in the sense of "later in the capture") packets to or from certain
endpoints to be dissected as a particular protocol.  This is used, for example, for protocols such as SIP, which
initiate a session and specify "use port XXX" for that session, so that future UDP traffic to or from port XXX should
be dissected as RTP for that session.

What protocol(s) are in the TCP packets in question?

Thats it!

I'm doing a dissector to decode the H.460.19 RTP multiplexing used by
H.323 and the packets I have to ignore contain openLogicalChannel
messages that probably set up rules to decode future packets as RTP.

Is there a way to override these rules for future packets ?
Or is the only way to adapt the dissector for H.323 to auto detect when
RTP multiplexing is used ?

To start out I was planning to use a manual Decode As instead of the
more difficult auto-detect.

Regards,
Jan
--