Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: initializing a variable with a non-constant value

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:04:43 -0700

On Oct 14, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

This is very similar in theme to my question about variadic macros a
few weeks ago [1].

...except that...

The conclusion there was that they're not
officially part of C89 which is Wireshark's official C version. Even
though it seems all of the compilers we use support that particular
C99 extension, we can't move to C99 officially because MSVC doesn't
support all of it, so it's simpler for everyone if we try to stick to
pure C89.

...this particular item hasn't changed between C89 and C99, as per my other mail.