Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump with snaplen set to 128

From: Perry Smith <pedzsan () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:13:55 -0500

On Oct 15, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Oct 15, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan () gmail com> wrote:

Frame Length and Capture Length both say 128 bytes.

As I suspected.

Back on my original question: would you say that sense the Frame Length is bogus, wireshark is doing as well as
expected?

Yes.

Thanks.  For future googlers:

on AIX, iptrace with the -B -S <snaplen> will produce this.  Adding -T to cause iptrace to create a tcpdump format file
works around the issue.

I'm wondering if maybe the iptrace format doesn't have both fields.

Thank you,
Perry Smith