Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Compilation failure - privileges.c: In function 'relinquish_special_privs_perm' - ignoring return value of 'setresgid', declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Werror=unused-result]

From: Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:51:37 -0400

On 9/29/2012 5:49 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com> wrote:
My inclination: test the return value of the various set*id calls and if
fail, do g_error().

Thoughts ?

I'd be tempted to make it a g_warning() since Wireshark will
*probably* keep working despite the problem. The general approach
seems sound though.

After thinking about this a bit, I've decided to abort given that if an attempt to reduce privileges fails for some obscure reason, it's probably best not to proceed with possibly elevated privileges.