Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Copying TVBs for Reassembly [Was: Filebacked-tvbuffs : GSoC'13]

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:23:28 -0700

I dont think composite tvbs actually work.   or at least they didnt
work when we originally wrote the reassembly code.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:
This is a tangential issue that has always confused me.

Why do we malloc+memcpy data for reassembly when we already have
'virtual' composite TVBs?

Wouldn't it be more efficient (in time and memory) to create a
composite TVB for each reassembly and then build the reassembled
packet in it? You would never have to copy or allocate any actual
packet data...

Or am I misunderstanding how composite TVBs actually work?

Thanks,
Evan

P.S. Clearly some protocols where the payload is XORed or hashed
wouldn't be able to do this, but most protocols doing reassembly just
carry the raw payload bytes.