Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: 1.10 branch + release schedule

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:27:16 -0700

On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

On 4/19/13 3:23 PM, Andrew Hood wrote:
Gerald Combs wrote:

(Which reminds me - we need to set a schedule
for dropping Windows XP support.)

Despite M$ enthusiasm for not supporting XP it lives on on many systems
which perform their assigned duties and don't have resources to run
later versions. How practical would it be to create an XP fork for
security only updates?

If the past is any indication that might be difficult. At one point a
security update broke Windows 2000 compatibility and it was a bit of a
struggle to work around it. Using that as a guide I predict the following:

1) Next February or March I'll migrate our Windows XP builder to Vista
and we will no longer automatically catch XP compatibility bugs.

So does that mean that, at least in theory, the builds will still work on Vista, modulo something about the Vista build
environment breaking something?

If so, presumably 1.8 would then be the "XP fork", with security and some other critical fixes going in, but that's
about it.