Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: why is wireshark showing knoppix host

From: tnarkms <tnarkms () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 00:57:57 +0000

[reordered for continuity]

On 02/05/2013 11:16 PM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
<>

Probably your DSL router picked up that hostname once it saw your machines
MAC address for the first time (two years ago). It retained that info and
fed it into it's DNS responder.
Go into the DSL routers' management interface and look at allocated
addresses, you probably find the name there.

i do not believe that is cause. as stated above;

}>> nowhere on my system do i have the name 'knoppix' assigned.

i consider the router as a part of my system.

also;

}>> it used to correctly show my assigned hostname until last update.

which should have read;

  it used to correctly show my assigned hostname until sometime after
  my last update.

right now, if i grepped every file on my system, the only places 'knoppix'
would show up are in the wireshark files i have saved and in the emails
in this thread. also, possibly in some other emails.

minor correction to above. in 'tmp' directory, files 'nscopy-1.tmp' and
'nsemail-3.tmp' contain word 'knoppix'. but those are where mozilla
thunderbird keeps temporary files for emails. :)

i should have mentioned that when i first noticed knoppix name, i opened
firefox and selected router address, http://192.168.1.254/, from bookmarks
toolbar to find that correct host name is shown.

plus, router determines host name from computers as that are connected.

--
peace out.

tc, hago.

walking the walk. long live tux.

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*