Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 47188: /trunk/ui/gtk/ /trunk/ui/gtk/: main.c

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:14:50 -0800

On Jan 20, 2013, at 1:45 PM, jake () wireshark org wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=47188

User: jake
Date: 2013/01/20 01:45 PM

Log:
Fix for CID 715142.
Be aware that the short-circuit evaluation only applies to the
first operand of a logical AND expression.

...but if the second operand is itself a logical AND expression, short-circuit evaluation applies to the first operand
of *that* expression.  I'm not sure what that change actually changes; would not both evaluate as

        if global_capture_opts.num_selected == 0
        then
                if prefs.capture_device != NULL
                then
                        if *prefs_p->capture_device != '\0'
                        then
                                TRUE
                        else
                                FALSE
                else
                        FALSE
        else
                FALSE

(expression syntax is C syntax, if/then syntax isn't)?

At least when I look at 715142, I think the problem about which it's complaining is that, unless prefs_p == &prefs,
establishing that prefs.capture_devices != NULL does nothing to establish that prefs_p->capture_devices is != NULL, and
therefore does nothing to establish that *prefs_p->capture_device is a valid reference.