Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: long options again

From: Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:58:03 +0200

Thus wrote Gisle Vanem (gvanem () broadpark no):

"Brandon Carpenter" <hashstat () pnnl gov> wrote:

I have to say that I dislike getopt() and getopt_long() for option
parsing because of the disconnect between the options and the help. It
creates multiple places that require updating when options change and
quite often, one of those places is forgotten.

Agreed. That's why tools like gengetopt has been developed.
This tool will generate the getopt_long() C-source + the help-text from a
.ggo file specifying the program args.

Ref.:
 http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt/gengetopt.html

we'd still need to keep the manpage in sync...