Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Make gtk3 default (over gtk2)?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:21:06 -0700

On 7/23/13 6:50 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 09:20:51AM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
We discussed briefly at Sharkfest, and the hope then was that the Qt
version would be default for the next stable release (even if that
took slightly longer than usual to release).

Perhaps the default should become the Qt version instead?

As of now the qt version is unuseable. That may change but right now
gtk2 is the default and most stable, the there is gtk3 which is hopefully
close to gtk2 and qt is a toy right now. While I definitely prefer the
Qt-look, I think getting qtshark on par with the gtk versions is very
optimistic.
So let me rephrase that: Let us make gtk3 the default for now, until it
will be superseeded by qtshark ;-)

I don't have a problem with making GTK3 the default over GTK2, but given
that:

- I plan on making Qt the default for OS X and Windows in the next major
release, and

- I'm willing to delay the next release until the Qt port morphs from
"toy" to "useful" and "feature complete"

any time spent on GTK at this point is probably time wasted.