Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark Causing SMB Query

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 01:11:45 -0800

On Mar 2, 2013, at 11:08 PM, Jim Aragon <Jim () agdatasystems com> wrote:

my PC sent an SMB query for a file or directory called ".wireshark" in my home directory,

Wireshark stores its preferences file, and a bunch of other configuration information, in a directory named .wireshark
under your home directory.

The .wireshark file does not exist ... However, Wireshark did not display any error dialog

If the directory doesn't exist, Wireshark will just use the default preference settings, etc.; the absence of such a
directory is not an error.  If you change a preference, Wireshark will create the directory if it needs to store a file
in it.

I'd really like to go back to Wireshark being passive and not causing any network traffic to be sent.

Don't have your home directory on a file server.