Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Export PDU:s

From: Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 18:29:00 +0200

Pascal Quantin skrev 2013-05-12 17:50:
2013/5/12 Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net <mailto:a.broman () bredband net>>

    Pascal Quantin skrev 2013-05-12 11:08:
    2013/5/12 Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net
    <mailto:a.broman () bredband net>>

        Pascal Quantin skrev 2013-05-10 15:20:
        2013/5/5 Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net
        <mailto:a.broman () bredband net>>

            Hi,
            I have added a basic implementation making it possible
            to export higher level PDU:s to file using a USER_DLT.
            The basic implementation makes it possible to export SIP
            traffic to a new file adding some meta data before the
            actual SIP message. The idea is that it should be
            possible to export the reassembled PDU:s(and mix several
            protocols) removing the under laying transport protocol
            but retaining some interesting data such as IP addresses
            and ports.

            The implementation is bare bones to get the demo to
            work. It would be nice to get some feedback on useful tags
            to add, helper functions to load tags and if some one is
            willing to work on the GUI part that'd be nice too.

            Would it be feasible/useful to apply for a link-layer
            type from tcpdump?

            Any comments welcome.
            Regards
            Anders

        Hi Anders,

        it looks interesting. I started playing a bit with it and
        fixed a few bugs in r49232. Moreover I added the tags
        content to a subtree. Feel free to revert it if you do not
        like the output.
        I would find it great to have a link layer type allocated.
        This way the feature could work out of the box without any
        configuration.
        Yes

     Then how should we proceed? Can Guy allocate us a DLT or must we
    send a request to someone?
    I was hoping Guy would comment :-)

        Any idea on how to handle the export of several protocols ?
        Should we allow the user to select them in the GUI or should
        we export all the protocols registering the tap and let the
        user select afterwards which ones to keep with filters?
        My idea is to export all the protocols registering to the
        tap, if you tap with a filter only the filtered
        protocols should be tapped I think.

    Fine with me.

        By the way, I noticed that if a dissector and sub dissector
        both support the export functionality, the sub dissector
        message is dumped twice (once per protocol). Not sure
        whether this should be considered as a feature or a bug.
        Do you mean protocol x+y in the first packet and y in the
        second? I would expect that.

    Yes that's what I meant. I think we should tap the packet at the
    beginning of the dissection and not at the end as it is currently
    done in the SIP dissector. I see two advantages:
    - packet x+y will be tapped before packet y and not the opposite
    (I find it awkward to have packet y displayed before packet x+y)
    - a malformed packet will still be tapped
    Well as long as the tap, "taps" after reassembly is done I suppose
    it does not matter but if y is on top of x why tap y
    and not only X as that would include Y any way?

The purpose of your development is to export higher layer PDUs without the transport stream / lower layer and I guess depending on the user, you will have different needs and understanding of what this "higher layer" is. So a user might be interested by the export of X while another user might want only Y. But that's really a minor issue.
Sure just saying that you would probably export x OR y.

The export of malformed packets seems a must-have for me otherwise you would loose too much information.

Regards,
Pascal.
Assuming malformed packets are due to dissector bugs, fixing those would fix the problem :-))

Seriously - I suppose one have to chose the tapping point as wisely as possible but it might differ between
protocols.