Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Kept support of Visual Studio 2005

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:54:13 -0700

On 5/20/13 8:37 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

This is the small end of a long and wriggly worm.

Windows builds can consume system libraries from two sources, the
Compiler\VS Studio installation and the Platform SDK.  Merely checking
the compiler version isn't necessarily the correct option as the build
may be using a much newer version of the SDK that doesn't have the
issue.  In addition the build may be targeted at version of Windows that
doesn't suffer the issue.  I would like to have the time to sort this out.

Would reducing the number of supported compilers in config.nmake help in
that regard?

In general though, I agree that for Windows, supporting old compilers
isn't really necessary as Visual Studio will generally install on older
OS's, excepting that VS2012 limits support to Win7 and later, so we
might need to support VS2010 for XP and Vista, although even XP dies
(from mainstream support) in Apr 2014.

I'm OK with removing VS 2005 and .Net Framework 2.0.