Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark smb,srt filter error

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 16:30:03 -0400

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Oct 20, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

This is the best *official* reference I know of, and it's for XP
(through presumably things haven't changed much since most new work
has been going into PowerShell that I'm aware of):

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/concepts.mspx?mfr=true

I'd found that - and also found some other pages that are apparently part of that reference, but not linked to other
pages in the reference in any immediately obvious way.

Any idea what page, if any, describes the quoting conventions?  I couldn't find one of those old-fashioned things
called a "table of contents" for that document.

(Or is this a case of "works best with Internet Explorer"?)

This might be a useful reference for us to link to somewhere, as some tshark commands might require a fair bit of
tricky quoting (such as the command that started this thread).

Some increasingly obscure googling led me to [1], [2] and [3]. Every
time I learn a little more about how Windows works, I get a little
more scared. Of particular note: "the quoting rules for
CommandLineToArgv differ from those of cmd"...

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/twistylittlepassagesallalike/archive/2011/04/23/everyone-quotes-arguments-the-wrong-way.aspx
[2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683156%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/17w5ykft%28v=vs.85%29.aspx