Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Modify default profile location

From: Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard () gtech com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:44:33 +0000 (UTC)

Troy Tate <Troy.Tate@...> writes:

Is there a way to point the default profile location to a folder located
on a USB drive? I have a folder with
multiple troubleshooting profiles that I want to use on multiple machines
but keeping them in sync under
the local user account is a pain. Would it be better to maybe run
Wireshark portable in this case (although
some of the machines are x64)?

Currently, you can override the default preferences location (and thereby
the default profile location) by defining an environment variable named
U3_APP_DATA_PATH to be set to the desired location.

Since 1.10 is the last version that will support U3[1] though, we should
probably change the name of that environment variable to something else.  My
vote would be to use WS_APPDATA, and I'll likely change it to that in the
trunk unless there are any objections.

- Chris

[1]: http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle