Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: git history of files moved in SVN

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 14:19:38 -0700

On Apr 14, 2014, at 2:07 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:

Ouch--you'd think that this kind of thing would work.  I guess none of the dissectors have a history prior to The
Great Dissector Move of 2004/7/18.  Pity, as I recall a significant portion of the reason to move to SVN (from CVS)
was so that files could be moved without losing history.

They can, but I think it's done a bit weirdly internally to SVN (as an add, with a copy of the history and some other
information, and a delete), and perhaps history is lost on a conversion to Git.