Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GIT vs SVN

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:54:21 -0400

On Apr 25, 2014, at 1:18 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

On 04/04/2014 10:11 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Apr 4, 2014, at 9:21 AM, Herb Falk <herb () sisconet com> <Herb () sisconet com> wrote:

No, I just wanted to understand.  It will be a couple of hours work.  Tried to GIT clone and to add in my changes,
but it didn't go well.

If you only want to keep your own private repository, with a modified version of Wireshark that tracks the trunk
(and with you being responsible for dealing with merge conflicts), I'm not sure what the right way to do that is in
Git.

Keep a clone, and do your own work in a branch off master. When you
want to update the underlying base, fetch from the master repository
and rebase your branch on top of the latest master.

This.

Would this be regarded a basic git knowledge, or a way specifically suited for
our repository setup? Then it would be a valuable addition to the Wiki.

I'm not sure I'd call it "basic", but it is certainly a standard git practice, and not wireshark-specific in any way.

Evan

Thanks,
Jaap