Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Optimizer options with autotools and CMake?

From: Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 14:15:32 -0400

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 3, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
I've noticed, on occasion, that sometimes the CMake builds on the UN*X
buildbots get warnings that the autotools builds don't.

Recently, I tried to figure out what was different about the CMake
builds; after some fixes that removed some incorrect differences between
them, I eventually stumbled across the way to get CMake to produce
makefiles that did verbose builds, printing the compile command as part of
the build output, and found that the difference was very simple - autotools
builds weren't building with a -O option, while CMake builds were building
with -O2.

I could have sworn my autotools builds used -O2... *goes to check*

Yup, my master-1.12 vanilla autotools build adds -O2 to CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS. I don't have a master autotools build handy, but I can't recall
any changes that would have affected that...

Autotools changing to default to -O2 in a version later than the version
installed on the 32-bit OS X buildbot (which I think is running Snow
Leopard, so the autotools version might be the one that shipped with Snow
Leopard - that was before Apple stopped shipping autotools)?

Huh, like Jeff I didn't realize that was an autotools default - I thought
we were already setting it ourselves.

+1 to explicitly specifying optimization flags on all build systems.