Wireshark mailing list archives

hpfrommer () hilscher cc - Re: Is PowerShell now a requirement for Windowsbuilds?

From: "Gerald Combs" <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 04:30:48 +0200

On 8/7/14, 6:41 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Aug 7, 2014, at 6:00 PM, "Gerald Combs (Code Review)" <code-review-do-not-reply () wireshark org> wrote:

Gerald Combs has uploaded a new change for review.

 https://code.wireshark.org/review/3487

Change subject: Provide our own version of unix2dos.

Provide our own version of unix2dos.

Add a unix2dos PowerShell script which converts UNIX / POSIX line endings
to Windows / DOS. Remove dos2unix as a dependency.

Does that - and the use of a PowerShell command in the Makefile.nmake for building an NSIS package - make PowerShell
a requirement for Windows builds?

Yes.

If so, then does it come with all versions of Windows on which we support building, or does it have to be downloaded
and installed on any of them?

It's a separate install for Windows Vista. Windows 7 ships with
PowerShell 2.0 and Windows 8 ships with 3.0. I'm not sure how many
developers are running Vista or (or XP) but we should list it as a
requirement.

Chocolatey and NuGet both require PowerShell 2.0. I can't tell if it's
required by newer versions of Visual Studio.