Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: "Visually" re-assemble packet

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:59:03 -0800

On Dec 8, 2014, at 3:30 PM, Christopher Smith <Christopher.Smith () au gt com> wrote:

Like, a method to parse through a trace to present its granularity on protocols vs frames?

So do you mean that you want a display that shows, for example, each HTTP request or response as a single line in
the summary, with, for example, the length field showing the length of the request or response as a whole, with
the packet details at a lower level (link-layer frame, IP, TCP) hidden?

Yes :-)

OK, so the reassembly's already being done by Wireshark, and it's just a question of the packet summary display.

That can't *fully* be done currently, but if, for example, you filter the display with a filter such as "http",
it'll show only the HTTP traffic.

I know :-( - my scenario it’s SMB – so on that filter I JUST get the “tail” frame – which is great for any analysis
based on timestamps, but not the FULL picture

So what additional information do you need?  A display hiding the details below the SMB level won't show you *any*
frames.