Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu PPA for Wireshark stable branch

From: Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:49:43 +0100

Hi,

Very cool, thanks Balint!

Also on the topic of Ubuntu and Wireshark, it looks like the packages
that ship with Ubuntu are finally getting some security love:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wireshark/+bug/1397091
Great!

Evan

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu> wrote:
Hi All,

I have created a PPA for the stable Wireshark branch point releases:
https://launchpad.net/~wireshark-dev/+archive/ubuntu/stable

The packages are back-ported from latest packaged version in Debian
unstable to prevent upgrade problems.

Since in Debian we are in "freeze" phase I can't upload 1.12.2-1, but
when it is over in a few weeks I will follow the Wireshark releases
closely again.

It is not an official announcement, just a short status update. The
packages are building on Launchpad for the first time and haven't been
tested yet. If you feel so please try them and send feedback.

Currently packages for Ubuntu 14.10 (Trusty) are building, and I plan
adding all supported Ubuntu versions.
I have uploaded and tested the versions built for 14.04 and 12.04. For
now I don't plan providing a version for 10.04, because it is not
supported on desktop, but if there is a need for it it can be added
easily.

The scripts I used for packaging are available at
https://github.com/rbalint/pkg-wireshark-ubuntu-ppa .

I think we could make a formal announcement about it in a few days.
Gerald, would you like to announce the availability of the packages?

Cheers,
Balint