Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Rename TVB captured length vs reported length

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:44:21 -0800

On Feb 18, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Dirk Jagdmann <doj () cubic org> wrote:

I also doubt that 95% of the use cases are asking for
reported/captured length. Personally I typically work on code to show the user
protocol (SSL, HTTP, DCE/RPC) and if a frame was truncated while capturing
(captured_length < actual_length) I can often not continue with dissecting the
user protocol, since I miss parts of the data.

You *can* continue dissecting the protocol.  You just get an exception, so that the user sees that the data was in the
packet, but the snapshot length was set too short to capture it.  Stopping dissection just because the data to be
dissected was cut off by a snapshot length is entirely the wrong thing to do, as it can make it look as if the packet
didn't have the data in question.