Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: "right" git clone address

From: Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:21:45 +0100

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu> wrote:
Hi All & Gerald,

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster () gmx de> wrote:
As a "follower" of the wireshark code I'm wondering if
https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark or
https://code.wireshark.org/git/wireshark is the right address to build
the latest wireshark from source code.

(If I understand it correctly this question is similar to "kernel" by
Linus versus "kernel-next" by Stephen Rothwell - right ?)

No, https://code.wireshark.org/git/wireshark was a read-only mirror of
the subversion repo and should be considered dead (I expect Gerald
will remove it at some point).
I think it would be useful to keep it as a read-only mirror for
browsing the code easily.

Why? It will have exactly the same contents as the main repository, so
there will be no difference between browsing one or the other.
There are probably many links pointing to
https://code.wireshark.org/git/wireshark
on the Internet and removing the repository will break them.
Keeping it updated is trivial OTOH.

If the decision is to remove the repo, please redirect links to
https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=summary
at least.

If it stays it needs to be revived with fixed description. Now it says:
"Git mirror of the Wireshark Subversion repository"

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Workflow also points to it.

@Gerald: To make the Wiki and the repos consistent we need a decision regarding
removing or keeping the repo.

Thanks,
Balint

Gerald, could you please make it updated from Gerrit branches instead
of deleting it?

Cheers,
Balint

Please use only https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark