Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Displaying column headers in Tshark output

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:53:42 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 05:38:09PM +0100, Matteo Arnò wrote:
I would like to convert a pcapng into text (from command line) for
automated parsing using a SW tool.

Is there any way to display the column headers for EACH packet, when
converting the pcap to txt file using Tshark?

i.e. I want this line:
No.     Time            Source                Destination
Protocol Length Info

above the information related to each packet.

I tried -T fields with -e options, but apparently the header is only
displayed in the first line of the txt file. I need it to be displayed with
each packet (as it happens with the manual "export packet dissections" from
wireshark).

tshark -r rtsp.pcap -Tfields -Eheader=y -e <field1> -e <field2> ...  | perl -ne 'if ($header) { print "$header$_"; }
else { $header=$_; }'

Ciao
   Jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>