Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: What is "Export PDUs to File..." intended to do?

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 15:59:56 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-users-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-users-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Guy Harris
Sent: den 16 juli 2014 12:00
To: Community support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] What is "Export PDUs to File..." intended to do?

On Jul 15, 2014, at 10:55 PM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com> wrote:

Le 16/07/2014 03:05, Guy Harris a écrit :
Currently, it writes something to a temporary file, and then closes the current file and reads the new file in.

1) What do the four choices it offers mean?  I tried it with "OSI Layer 3" on an HTTP capture and no packets were
written.
The idea is to strip the lower layers or create a new pcap with the
deciphered payload for example.
As of today, if you select "OSI layer 3" it will export PDUs from
IPSec and SCTP.

Those aren't the only protocols in the universe at the transport layer - and I'm not sure IPSec is a transport-layer
protocol.

Perhaps it should say "IPSec and SCTP" instead?

That may be come long winded if more protocols are added...

If you select "OSI layer 7", it will export the (eventually
deciphered) payload for credssp, diameter, DTLS, reload, SIP and SSL.

Ditto.