Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Force Wireshark to decode part of Data as another protocol

From: Rayne <hjazz6 () ymail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:25:08 -0700

I'm using 1.8.1. I'll try the latest Wireshark. Thanks!

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:20:49 -0700
On Jul 21, 2014, at 11:15 PM, Rayne <hjazz6@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I have some traffic samples where the Layer 2 is PPP
and the next protocol field value is 0x0281, which indicates MPLS Unicast. There are 4 bytes following this PPP header
before I see the IP header. However, Wireshark has decoded everything after the PPP header as Data. What version of
Wireshark are you using? > I can't choose the "Decode As" option in this case, as it is greyed out. How can I force
Wireshark to decode the 4 bytes after the PPP header as something else, say MPLS in this case? Use the latest version
of Wireshark, which appears to support dissecting packets with a PPP protocol value of 0x0281 as MPLS-over-PPP?