Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark Bluetooth

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:57:33 -0700

On Jul 8, 2014, at 1:35 PM, "Paul Raine" <praine () solutions-eng com> wrote:

Does anyone know if it's still possible to capture Bluetooth packets using
Wireshark?

If you mean "capturing third-party Bluetooth traffic" - i.e., traffic other than that sent by and received by your
machine - that's possible only with hardware such as Ubertooth:

        http://ubertooth.sourceforge.net

If you mean "capturing traffic sent by and received by the machine running Wireshark", I know of no reason why it would
have have *stopped* being possible.

- and if so what version of Linux, Wireshark and Libpcap do I need?

See

        http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Bluetooth

for information on the kernel and libpcap.

From

        http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Bluetooth?action=recall&rev=18

(which is an old page) support for dissecting those captures dates back to at least 2011, so Wireshark 1.6.0 might have
been the first release with dissection support to go with the capture support - if not, 1.8.0 probably handles it.