Wireshark mailing list archives

Ubuntu 14.04 user level capture permissions from source

From: Alan Marchiori <alan () alanmarian com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:27:02 -0400

I'm trying to build wireshark (1.10.6) from source on my Ubuntu 14.04
machine to work on a plugin. I also have the ubuntu wireshark package
installed and working properly from my user account and am able to capture
packets on eth0 (using the wireshark group). However, when I build from
source, my user account cannot capture on eth0.

I have tried various options with the configure script, eg:
./configure --enable-dumpcap --enable-setcap-install
--with-dumpcap-group=wireshark

And set the capture properties to match the ubuntu package's dumpcap:
$ getcap /usr/local/bin/dumpcap
/usr/local/bin/dumpcap = cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw+eip

src/wireshark-1.10.6$ getcap ./dumpcap
./dumpcap = cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw+eip

but still my compiled wireshark/dumpcap cannot access eth0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,