Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] master 14824e6: Revert "Fixup: tvb_* -> tvb_captured"

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:42:03 +0200

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:
IOW the reason these functions were renamed was because a large portion of
the time dissector-writers would use tvb_length() when they really should
have been using tvb_reported_length().  By renaming the functions and adding
a macro--which is listed as deprecated by checkAPIs--for backwards
compatibility we can know which calls have yet to be audited/checked for
correctness.  That is, the whole point is to *not* systematically replace
tvb_length() but rather check each call and replace it with the correct one.

Well, thank you, I've got the point now.