Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Git-review (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems with GIT)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:01:37 -0700

On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan () oracle com> wrote:

I see you have the 'pip install git-review' stuff on that page... fwiw, I've never gotten git-review to work on my
Mac.  I got it installed with pip, but issuing any 'git review' command doesn't work.  I don't *think* it's a path
problem, but instead whatever mechanics git-review did to hook itself into git's command parser

Git's command parser appears to be something similar to

        system("git-" || the arguments to git);

where "||" is the concatenation operator (yes, I learned PL/I in my youth; why do you ask? :-)).

I.e., if you do

        git blahblahblah foo bar bletch

it tries to run the command

        git-blahblahblah foo bar bletch

(through Python it seems)

        $ which git-review
        /usr/local/bin/git-review
        $ file `which git-review`
        /usr/local/bin/git-review: Python script, ASCII text executable

so git-review is just a Python script with a #! header, so that an exec-family call (which includes posix_spawn() on
systems, such as newer versions of OS X, that have it) on that file will run the Python interpreter on it.

Was there some secret magic you had to do besides 'pip install git-review'?

The only thing I had to do on my Mac, running 10.8.5, was to:

        remove the old copy of pip I'd installed a while ago (as it couldn't handle the current git-review package for
some reason);

        installed the latest version of pip;

and then run "pip install git-review".