Wireshark mailing list archives

Walk capture_global_opts to find interface

From: Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 16:48:59 +0200

Hi

During development of the extcap interface I stumbled across an issue,
which could easily be fixed, if I could get the interface_t struct element
for an iface name.

To the point, one extcap program may allow more than one interface for
managment. But capture_get_if_capabilities just gets the iface name, and
then forwards that to the extcap method. This results in each extcap
program getting asked the information for each possible interface (even the
none extcap ones, as IFTYPE_EXTCAP is also not available, which results in
many executable calls and furthermore poses a potential memory and security
issue.

Therefore I want to guard the functions of extcap, to only call the
executable responsible for the interface, and therefore need some
information from the interface_t structure.

So my question is, Is it allowed to walk through capture_global_opts and
search for a given iface name or is there another way or method of getting
the interface_t struct for a given interface? Or is there even another way
of performing said task?

regards,
Roland