Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: QT graphics version for Windows

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:54:39 +0000

On 18 November 2014 17:35, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com> wrote:

Le 18 nov. 2014 18:28, "Gerald Combs" <gerald () wireshark org> a écrit :

On 11/18/14 4:54 AM, Pascal Quantin wrote:

I just noticed that the buildbots (and presumably the releases) are
using the opengl version of QT, whereas I've always used the angle version
in my local builds.

The QT page on the choice (
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Windows-ANGLE-and-OpenGL) implies that
the angle version is more general purpose and required if you want to use
RDP or QTMultimedia video.

Has there been an explicit discussion on the QT version that I've
missed, or should we discuss this now?

Hi Graham,

I don't think this was ever discussed. As RDP is a quite common usage
on Windows (as seen with the GTK2 specific memory bug reports we got),
ANGLE would seem to be the best choice. The drawback of dropping Windows XP
support is not an issue as we already decided to stop supporting it
officially.

We fall under the " Your application does not use OpenGL at all" case
described in the page linked above, so I followed their recommendations and
installed the OpenGL packages. If anyone plans on adding an RTP video
player or using QGLWidget I can switch to the ANGLE packages.

Are there issues with using our current packages over RDP? It's been
working fine here, even at low color depths.

I did not check it myself and just assumed that what was written on the Qt
page was right. If it works with OpenGL and RDP,  that's fine! (and I will
change my local configuration).

I didn't check either, just read the page and thought the angle version was
best for us.

--
Graham Bloice