Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "Language" preference?

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:56:35 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Peter Wu
Sent: den 25 november 2014 09:43
To: Andreas Sikkema
Cc: wireshark-dev () wireshark org
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "Language" preference?

*sigh* this was supposed to be off-list.

On Tuesday 25 November 2014 00:36:13 Peter Wu wrote:
On Monday 24 November 2014 23:45:11 Andreas Sikkema wrote:
Here's an example, a forum that I use quite frequently. When I set
Firefox to Dutch, The links for Login and Registration get
translated to Aanmelden and Registreren. In my mind, Aanmelden and
Registreren both mean Registration. So now I am confsed, which of
the links should I follow to login?

In dit specifieke geval is het misschien handig om "aanmelden" als
iets korts te zien (loop langs de receptie, zeg even gedag) en
registratie als iets uitgebreiders (geef je naam en andere gegevens op).

Iets wat misschien vaker voorkomt is dat je een taal pakt wat anderen
ook gebruiken om makkelijker logboeken te kunnen lezen, of om
makkelijker jouw foutmeldingen door te kunnen geven.

Google translate is funny :-)
In this particular case, it might be useful to " sign " as
See something short (walking past the front desk , say hello ) and
Registration as more elaborate managers (enter your name and other data ) .

Something perhaps more common is that you pick a language which others
Use for easier reading logs , or
Easier to give your error reports .

Which also shows that having "translations" might give unpredictable results if the translation isn't up to par which
may be difficult to check  ;-)
I don't think I'll ever use a Swedish translation of Wireshark texts. So I'd definitely would like to be able to
"force" it to English should I ever use it on a computer with a Swedish language pack.

Regards
Anders