Wireshark mailing list archives

Custom link layer type for logging additional data

From: Anil <anilkumar911 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:48:58 +0530

Hi,

During packet capture, I want to log additional data other than what's in
the ethernet packet and the per packet pcap header. So, I have created a
custom header and am logging additional information into this.

I have modified  pcap_to_wtap_map[] to add another mapping to add another
link type. I have also added a dissector to display the additional
information in wireshark?

I want to contribute these changes back to wireshark so that customers of
our product can view the packet traces with usual wireshark.

Is this the normal approach to log additional information about each
packet? Or are there any alternative methods of achieving this?

-anil