Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Strange SSL decode issue (SUPL, ULP)

From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <Ralf+WireShark () bergs biz>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:15:02 +0200

Hi Jaap.

Thanks.

On 2015-04-17 07:18 , Jaap Keuter wrote:
On 04/15/2015 11:21 AM, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
Hi Jaap.

Thanks for your reply.

On 2015-04-15 07:59 , Jaap Keuter wrote:
ssl_decrypt_pre_master_secret: session uses DH (17) key exchange, which is
impossible to decrypt
As the debug log says, one backend node does while the other doesn't use a DH
key exchange. I would look carefully at the crypto configuration of both backend
nodes.
Sorry if I'm asking this question (it's because I'm not an expert in
this area), is it absolutely clear that there must be a config issue on
the server side? Or can it also be an issue with client behavior? That
the client in the one session behaved differently than in the other?

If you're really confident that it is a server-side issue, can you maybe
give me some hints where to look at? Would it be at the JVM level? Maybe
crypto policy files being different? Or Tomcat webapp container config?
Or even the webapp config itself?
From the detailed description you've given this certainly is a point of
interest, but it would take more measurements to say for certain. As for the
server component that could cause this, I have no clue either.
So what would you propose in case I encounter such issue again? Send a
ssl-debug.log?

KR,

Ralf