Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Undissected reserved fields

From: mmann78 () netscape net
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:32:07 -0500

To me this is a granularity/filter issue.  For dissectors that I don't personally use (but want to increase
filterability), I try to put as many reserved bytes into a single hf_ field, mostly out of laziness (for those that
care more about the protocol to clean up/decide granularity).  But it does give other users of the dissector a chance
to find them with "myprotocol.reserved".  Is that better than "myprotocol && _ws.reserved"? not sure.  For dissectors I
personally use, I still usually don't create an individual reserved field for each place one could be, so if I want to
find "all" I don't have a really long filter.

You also want consistency so that all protocols use the same convention, so we don't end up with "myprotocol.reserved"
for some cases and requiring "myotherprotocol &&  _ws.reserved" in others.  Since we're already far down the
"myprotocol.reserved" road now, I'd prefer to stay there rather than update all of the current reserved fields.