Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Script used to automatically delete unused #includes

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 19:01:44 +0100

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:56 AM, Martin Mathieson <
martin.r.mathieson () googlemail com> wrote:

Hi,

I have attached the script that I used over the past week or 2 to detect
and delete unneeded #includes.  I am not sure whether it is fit for
submitting to the tools folder in its current state.

By my count it deleted > 1400 #includes, although:
- not all source files were scanned (e.g. plugins, epan other than
dissectors)
- a few includes later needed to be restored

The script works by attempting to build without each #include, and
permanently removing all that seem not to be needed.  Ideally, a script
like this would be run in the least forgiving environment available and any
added warnings seen after a deletion would be treated as failure.  I am
currently building under VS 2010 EE, which is maybe the most forgiving
environment we support.  The Ubuntu build done by the Petri Dish definitely
helped, but new errors were still seen after committing the changes.

My reluctance to commit the script in its current form is because:
- while I hope it was worth running once, I'm not sure it'll be worth
doing again.  Having said that, the script has some cowardly rules for not
deleting includes that a better version on a less forgiving build
environment could discard.  I doubt you could even measure the difference
it makes to a clean build time, but hopefully removing some clutter was
helpful.
- it is hard-coded to build with nmake.  I'm not sure how best to choose
between make/Makefile and nmake/Makefile.nmake
- the results always need to be treated with care, and I wouldn't want
someone to  run the script for several hours to find that they can't commit
the result.

I'd be very happy if someone wants to further develop and run the script,
but unless someone feels differently I'll assume that it shouldn't be
committed as it stands.

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

May be push your script on tools ? (for don't forget...)