Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: duplicate frames captured by tcpdump

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:07:59 -0500

On 01/15/15 00:00, Manolis Katsidoniotis wrote:
Hello

This is a long shot my apologies if the question is not directly related
to this forum.

In our lab we use (linux) tcpdump to capture frames (using interface
"any" for applications that do not communicate internally) and wireshark
to view and process the captured frames.

Lately after some upgrades we've been noticing the same frame is
captured twice, once including the vlan tag and once with the tag
stripped (actually sometimes we've noticed several repeated frames)

Does anyone happen to know how we can eliminate this
a. either during capture (via linux tcpdump) or
b. during display (take out the duplicate frames)?

I'd suggest a capture filter of "vlan" or "not vlan" (depending on which you prefer to see): drop the duplicate packets sooner rather than dealing with them later.