Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: STANAG 5066 SIS Dissector and ACP142/DMP

From: pogiako <pogiako () openmailbox org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 08:58:25 +0000

On 2015-01-02 08:10, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Le 2 janv. 2015 02:49, "Ricardo Cristian Ramirez"
<r.cristian.ramirez () gmail com> a écrit :

 > Hi,
 >
 > I have been analyzing Acp 142 (P_Mul) data over IP network and
 > everything was fine. However, I couldn't analyze Acp 142 data over
HF
 > network (STANAG 5066).
 >
 > S'5066 SIS dissector displays the data section (UPDU) succesfully
but
 > this UPDU contains transport layer header of S'5066 network when
the
 > S'5066 client is TMMHS client (so that it cannot be dissected by
Acp
 > 142). The name of the discussed transport layer is RCOP/UDOP and
 > details are given in STANAG 5066 Ed. 2 ANNEX F.8 and F.9. Header
bytes
 > can be seen as the first six bytes of data section in the
attachment
 > before.cap (00 0X 00 00 20 00).
 >
 > S'5066 provides HF subnetwork serivce to different type of clients.
 > Specification describes a transport layer for some clients like Acp
 > 142 and DMP but not for all of them. Since RCOP/UDOP header
definition
 > are given in S'5066 specification, consuming these header bytes in
 > S'5066 SIS dissector may be appropriate. The attachment
s5066sis.diff
 > suggests below changes:
 >
 > - When the client type is TMMHS, RCOP or UDOP client (sapid == 2, 6
 > and 7), add a tree item after the pdu type tree item and display
 > transport layer content
 > - If the incoming SIS primitive doesn't contain a UPDU (e.g.
 > BIND_ACCEPTED), don't add tree item
 > - Specify an application identifier and register it to the
dissector
 > table ("s5066sis.ctl.appid"). This identifier is used to call
related
 > dissector (Acp 142 or DMP). This make sense because there are
 > different application identifiers for Acp 142 (0x2000 TMI-1) and
DMP
 > (0x2003 TMI-4).
 > - If there is not a defined application for the incoming data, call
 > data handle dissector as usual
 > - After the above changes, P_Mul tells that it accepts data when
the
 > application identifier is 0x2000.
 > dissector_add_uint ("s5066sis.ctl.appid", 0x2000, p_mul_handle);
 > - And in DMP (by the way, I didn't tested DMP):
 > dissector_add_uint ("s5066sis.ctl.appid", 0x2003, dmp_handle);
 >
 > The view of the tree is like in atachment after.png
 >
 > I'm not a wireshark expert but these changes solved my problem. If
 > there is a better solution, please direct me the right way.
 >
 > Note: Sometimes, discussed changes causes malformed data assertion
for
 > P_Mul dissector from the statement "DISSECTOR_ASSERT (pkg_data);",
 > just before the return statement in the register_p_mul_id()
function.
 > When I looked the calls of this function, there is a null check
 > everytime it is called. Hence, I removed the assertion and it seems
 > that everytihng is normal.
 >
 > Thanks.

Hi Ricardo,
 Thanks for your patch. The best way to go forward is to fill a bug on
bugs.wireshark.org [1] and upload your patch to Gerrit (as explained
in the developer guide:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcContribute.html#ChSrcSend
[2]). Then your changes will be reviewed and discussed before being
merged once everything is OK.

Regards,
 Pascal.

Links:
------
[1] http://bugs.wireshark.org
[2]
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcContribute.html#ChSrcSend

Hello!

How do I correctly call Wireshark? I am just learning Wireshark. I start Wireshark like: "sudo wireshark" and have been prompted every time that what I'm doing isn't recommended. How then should I call it?

Thanks!

Regards!