Wireshark mailing list archives

Add preference to display spaces between bytes for FT_BYTES fields

From: mmann78 () netscape net
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 08:56:08 -0500

Looking for more feedback on https://code.wireshark.org/review/6304/

My thought process was that fields with a small number of bytes (< 8, maybe < 16), the field displays better with a
space in between bytes.  Some fields however are variable length between "something small" and "something large", which
may be "situation dependent".  It's for that reason I think a preference could be used to aid in displays for
situations where the byte fields are always small.

With the recent addition of different "byte BASEs", a BASE_SPACE could certainly be added to fields known to be a small
number of bytes, and have the decision to "hard code" spaces into that field could be left up to the dissector
developer.  But I think that's a separate patch and both types of functionality (preference + dissector choice) should
be available.

Michael