Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Planning the next major release

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 11:23:56 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu>
wrote:

Hi,

We often make major releases in June, just before Sharkfest. That
probably
won't happen this year. A major release now would mean either releasing
2.0
(featuring the Qt UI) without feature parity with the GTK+ UI, or
releasing
1.14 (featuring the GTK+ UI). I'm not particularly fond of either choice.

Unless there's a compelling reason to get something out the door now, I'd
prefer to wait until the Qt UI is ready, which raises the question of the
definition of "ready." We've been tracking complete and pending features
at

    https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/QtShark

We've made a lot of progress but are still lacking many features
including
the Wireless Toolbar, a few Statistics dialogs, and quite a few Telephony
dialogs.
IMO it would be a great disservice to our users to release Wireshark
with the current Qt state causing regressions due to missing features.
I also think that delaying our established release cycle time-wise
indefinitely would also be a disservice since Wireshark is a
professional tool and our users are expecting use to provide a new
release around June and they may have committed upgrade plans.
Implementing the remaining missing functionality in a rush and
releasing with Qt as a default UI is also something which I would not
do, because the newly implemented parts would not be tested
extensively.

The GTK+ UI is in a releasable state AFAIK thus I propose releasing
1.14 with GTK+ shortly after Sharkfest because it is the best we can
do four our users and we can fiinish the final touches during
Sharkfest.
The GTK+ UI can be made really nice on OS X using Homebrew [1] and I
think nothing prevents us from providing a native Quartz UI on OS in
our .dmg-s. I can work on this during Sharkfest.
If someone beats me to that I plan fixing the Windows GTK+ builds and
making them beautiful, too by switching to GTK+ 3.1x for 1.14. Doing
the work on the OS X part took me about a week and I expect the
Windows work to be about the same.

The question is when Wireshark Qt will be feature parity with Wireshark GTK.
If it is for 3 or 4 month (like September/October), it is possible to wait
to release a new major release.
if it is for next year... it should be great to release a 1.14

Regards,

Cheers,
Balint

[1]