Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to compile and execute the source code of wireshark?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:13:52 -0700

On Jun 18, 2015, at 7:17 AM, JAI BHAGWAN YADAV <saurav.yadav0005 () gmail com> wrote:

Hello all,
I am a beginner,
Q- How to compile and execute the source code of wireshark so that
     (i) Whenever I will compile and execute it, it will also run wireshark

You succeeded in doing that.

     (ii) I will use printf firstly so I can see the output at terminal

O.S. used: 64 bit, Ubuntu 12.04
What I tried?
I have tried ./autogen.sh It run successfully.

OK, that's what we'd expect to happen.

then ./configure It also run successfully, takes 2 minutes to execute on my system (1 GB RAM, virtual machine).

OK, that's what we'd expect to happen; there are a lot of tests to perform, so it will take a while to run.

then make It also run successfully, takes 15-20 approx minutes to execute.

OK, that's what we'd expect to happen; there's a lot of Wireshark source code, so it will take a while to run.  If the
host of your VM is a multi-core/multiprocessor machine, and the VM is configured to support more than one core, you
might want to use the "-j" flag to run compilations in parallel; I do my compiles on a 4-core MacBook Pro, with two-way
multithreading on each core, and "make -j 8" makes the compilation run a *lot* faster.

Only warnings can be seen in between of these execution but no error occured.

OK, that's what we'd expect to happen.

But also no wireshark window get opened,

And so is that!  "make" *compiles* a program, it doesn't run it, and it's not *supposed* to run it.

it will only open when I execute the command ./wireshark. So, please tell me the correct way and order to write all
the commands.

The correct way to write the commands is:

        ./autogen.sh - but only if this is the first time you build after checking the source code out from Git; if you
make a change to Wireshark source after that, you shouldn't need to run autogen.sh again

        ./configure - but only if this is the first time you build after checking the source code out from Git; if you
make a change to Wireshark source after that, you shouldn't need to run configure again

        make

        ./wireshark

Yes, all four commands.  If you want wireshark to *run*, you need that fourth command.  *That's* the command for the
"execute" step in "compile and execute the source code of wireshark" (or, rather, execute the *binary* code produced by
compiling the source code).