Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Set capture to TZ blah?

From: Niels de Vos <ndevos () redhat com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:00:33 +0100

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33:43AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
Hi folks,

Lots of people use Wireshark to help with problems around the world.
Sometimes they have a capture from another timezone and a log file
from that same timezone.

The capture has time in UTC while the logs are most likely in local
time and it can be hard to reconcile the two.

Can we have something added to the View->Time Display Formt menu that
allows us to specify the actual offset from UTC that the capture was
made in so that time can be displayed in local time for that Time
Zone.

That way it will be easier to work with a capture and a log file.

When I have captures and logs that do not match the timezone, I use the
TZ environment variable to read the captures in the timezone of the
logs, like:

    $ TZ=America/New_York tshark -r /path/to/capture.pcap.gz ....

or

    $ TZ=America/New_York wireshark /path/to/capture.pcap.gz

HTH,
Niels