Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: R: R: R: Ipw3945 monitor mode

From: SamA <samuelapt () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 03:01:46 +0000 (UTC)

Joerg Mayer <jmayer@...> writes:

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 05:53:49PM +0200, Massimo Palmeri wrote:
Joerg, thank you for your reply.
I fully agree with you. Probably I was not clear in exposing my
problem:
wireshark shows me frames not only from adjacent channels, but also
from
very far channels, such as channel 60.
My problem is how to tell ipw3945 driver to stop scanning and listen
to a
single given channel.

I finally understand your problem. OK, I fully agree with you that
this
behaviour isn't correct. If you find a solution that would work using
iwpriv or whatever please update the wiki or let us know so we may
update the wiki. Your best bet would probably be to ask that question
on the ipw3945 mailing list.

 ciao
        Joerg

Hi,
This seems to be a very old thread but I hope someone managed to fix
this back in 2007...

I have a very similar problem as is described in this text. I have a
loop that scans first channel 1 (at 2.4GHz), then channel 2 and so on.
Packets are captured for 5 seconds and stored in a pcap file (with
dumpcap).

The problem is that when I see the same AP's popping up on adjacent
channels. For example, scanning on channel 1 gives MAC X and MAC Y. Then
I scan at channel 2 and the same MAC addresses are popping up again (but
the radio tap header reports the correct channel numbers).

Have worked a lot with radio and this is not a correct behavior. Can see
from the mail thread that channels overlap. This is true, but when you
set a center frequency the receiver only looks for sync symbols coming
in there. It doesn't look for sync symbols 5MHz away.

So something fishy is going on. Either packets are stuck in the cash in
some way or there is some other fishy behavior. Would be very happy if
someone has a remedy and can share that.

Thanks!
Sam