Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] master-1.10 c0978c4: Don't dissect otherwise-undissected data twice.

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 18:47:09 -0700

On May 27, 2015, at 6:36 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:

On 05/03/2015 06:19 PM, Wireshark code review wrote:
Submitter: Guy Harris (guy () alum mit edu)
Changed: branch: master-1.10
Repository: wireshark

Commits:

c0978c4 by Guy Harris (guy () alum mit edu):

    Don't dissect otherwise-undissected data twice.

    Also, set decoded to TRUE after we return from a dissector; that makes
    it a bit clearer when we're setting it.

This change (in master-1.10) is dependent on (the packet-atm.c portion of) SVN rev 54503.  Without back porting 54503
the 'decoded' variable is set-but-not-used in this branch.

Any preferences on which way to fix it?  My initial suggestion would be to revert this latest change.

That change did two things: 1) "Don't dissect otherwise-undissected data twice." and 2) "Also, set decoded to TRUE
after we return from a dissector"; either both should be reverted and 1) then re-applied or 2) should be reverted.  1)
affects the appearance of the dissection; 2) just makes my head hurt less when I try to read the code. :-)