Wireshark mailing list archives

Wireshark packet capture in simulations/emulations (e.g. Mininet)

From: Murat Karakus <muratkarakus60 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:22:59 -0400

Hi All,

As far as I know Wireshark captures real packets sent to/from your
machine's network cards/interfaces like Ethernet, wireless etc.

I could not understand how Wireshark can capture packets in a
simulated/emulated network created such as Mininet. At the end, it is a
simulation/emulation and no real packet is sent from/to my laptop's network
cards/interfaces!

Can anyone explain me how Wireshark is able to do this?

Best Regards,
Murat Karakus